Skip to Main Content
This is a new website - your feedback will help us improve it

Learning disabilities

A learning disability can affect the way a person understands information and how they communicate.

Group support
Group support

If someone has a learning disability, they can have ongoing difficulties with:

  • understanding new or complex information
  • learning new skills
  • coping independently

If you have a learning disability, you may find everyday activities like work, education and jobs around the house a challenge. Other people may not understand learning disabilities so it may be hard to explain how you feel or you might find it hard to make friends. 

How to get help for your learning disability (assessments)

The first step is to ask for an assessment. 

You can contact us yourself (known as self-referral) or someone else can do this on your behalf, as long as you are OK with that.

You will also need a formal diagnosis of your learning disability. 

If you care for someone with a learning disability

You may live with the person you care for, or they may live somewhere else. We can support you, as well as the person you care for. 

A carer is a person is unpaid and has a personal, ongoing relationship with the person who has a learning disability. The person a carer supports may live at home with them, or live elsewhere.

Carers’ Assessments – a way to access the support you may need

As a carer you may provide support with many things including personal care, helping someone to get out and about, emotional support, support with money matters and advocacy.

If caring for someone is having an impact, you may want to consider having a Carers' Assessment. This is an opportunity for you to talk about your caring role and what needs you may have so you can get the right sort of help to assist you.

Carer's assessments

If you care for someone with a disability, you are entitled to a carer's assessment to find out how we can help you.

This is separate from the assessment for the person you care for.

How to apply for a carer's assessment

Report abuse: 0800 137 915

For information on safeguarding vulnerable adults, please visit the Buckinghamshire Safeguarding Adults Board.

Report abuse

0800 137 915

Is this page useful? Thank you for your feedback