Skip to Main Content
This is a new website - your feedback will help us improve it


Advocacy can help get your views across
Advocacy can help get your views across

How can an advocate help?

Advocates help people to speak for themselves or if they are not able to, then they can speak on their behalf.

Advocates help to support you so you can feel more in control.

The service will support people who meet the eligibility criteria and will signpost those who are not eligible to other services.

Advocates will:

  • Support you to speak for yourself (where possible)
  • Support you to have a better understanding of services so you can make decisions about your care
  • Have a good knowledge of local services and processes.

Advocates are not able to make decisions for you or campaign on your behalf.

We work with an organisation called POhWER for advocacy.


POhWER support people who face difficult issues and want to make their voice heard. All POhWER's services are free, independent and confidential.

You can talk to POhWER advocates in the strictest confidence.  Ask your care manager for a referral by or contact them directly:

Telephone – 0300 0200 092 (charged at local rate)
Minicom – 0300 456 2346
Text – send your name and number to 81025 and they will call you back
Website: (Buckinghamshire)

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

If you have a complaint or grievance about poor treatment or service provided through the NHS in England, you can contact the following organisations directly:

  • Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS),
  • professional bodies such as the General Medical Council (GMC)
  • specialist support such as legal advice

If you need further support in making your complaint, you can contact an organisation called SeAp.


SeAp will be able to help you with your complaint. They do not offer advocacy outside of your health related complaint, but will put you in contact with other organisations when it is necessary.

Telephone – 0330 440 9000
Text – send the keyword SEAP to 80800, followed by your message
Fax – 01424 204687
SeAp website

Military Advocacy

When military personnel are discharged from the armed forces they can find it hard to access the services and support they need to begin and maintain a new life in the civilian community.

Those who face a complex mixture of health, housing, financial, family and social problems may need specialist support. Experienced advocates understand the distinct needs of veterans, to help them get their lives back on track.

The service we use for military advocacy is called SeAp

If you have a complaint, you can choose to make your complaint with, or without, the support of an advocate. If you feel you need further support, an advocate can help with writing letters, attending meetings with you and helping you have your voice heard if you feel you will struggle to do this on your own.

Is this page useful? Thank you for your feedback