Skip to Main Content
This is a new website - your feedback will help us improve it

Technology that can help you to stay independent (technology enabled care)

If you are living at home independently, living with memory issues (such as dementia), living with a long term health condition, or are carer for somebody who is, technology enabled care may be able to help you.

Technology enabled care
Technology enabled care

How technology enabled care can help

Technology Enabled Care - sometimes referred to as Assistive Technology or Telecare – is a range of electronic equipment designed to help people remain living independently at home for longer.

Technology Enabled Care can:

  • remind you of things you need to do, like when to take your tablets, or if you have an appointment in your diary
  • send an alert to a response centre or carer if you need help.
  • GPS technology can ensure you remain safe when out and about in the local community.


Assessing your needs and supplying the equipment

The Council has a Technology Enabled Care service that can provide you with the equipment you need to live independently.

Our partners at NRS Healthcare provide a full end-to-end assessment and installation process for Buckinghamshire residents.

Following your assessment you will be offered the appropriate equipment to meet your unique needs.

Your assessment, technology and installation are provided free of charge.

For monitored technology however, like a lifeline alarm system, you will be financially assessed to determine how much you would need to contribute per week. The maximum weekly charge for lifeline alarm monitoring is £4.40 per week.

Charging will be explained by NRS during your assessment so you can make an informed choice about whether you wish to have the equipment installed.

NRS also have Technology Enabled Care equipment that you can purchase privately if you do not wish to have an assessment.

See the NRS Safe & Well website for Buckinghamshire


How to get what you need

You can contact us to ask for an assessment and to discuss your options using the form below:

Apply for help through technology


If you already have technology, and want to contact NRS to talk about it

Contact NRS using the details below


Phone:  0300 100 0247


How do I get a keysafe?

If you only need a key safe to help family or carers access your home please contact Age UK who will advise you on what you need and how much this will cost.

By phone: 01296 431 911

By email:


Residential homes

Please note that if you, or the person you are asking for an assessment for lives in a residential home, we are unable to provide a technology enabled care service.

If you are concerned that the care home is not able to support the Technology Enabled Care need, please contact NRS  who will be able to advise them on commercially available products and where to purchase these.


Phone:  0300 100 0247


Is this page useful? Thank you for your feedback